Monday, January 23, 2012

Oh Hell, Not This Again

Yes, well. It looks like I'll be returning the world of regular blogging, after a multi-year hiatus. The old Point Five was my previous incarnation, long departed now. Evidently, I need to establish a web presence if I hope to market the upcoming novel. So be it. They'll be little writing crap around here. Mostly drink recipes. What would I do without the devil's brew?

I'll start this out with a fun project for the determined inebriate (look out if you're too drunk to use power tools, 'cause this involves pouring boiling hot sugar through a funnel).

Tiki Drink #4:

2 oz Demerera Rum
1 oz Dark Rum (I used Kraken)
1/2 oz Ginger Syrup (see recipe below)
1/4 oz Pimento Dram (aka Allspice Dram)

Juice of 1 lime
Dash of raspberry syrup (my no-good son recommends Monin)

Combine in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake the living hell out of it. Pour into your most interesting Tiki glass. No time for garnish--just drink the bastard.

Ginger syrup:

I made 700ml of simple syrup and put it in a washed empty (there are a lot of those around here), and filled to the top with thin-sliced ginger. Let it decay (okay, infuse) for a week, and then strain into another washed empty (again, a steady supply of these will help). This has a nice crisp ginger flavor and can be used in place of simple syrup. IT'S NOT SHELF-STABLE, so refrigerate it. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment