Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Next Big Thing - Week 23

I was tagged by just-agented, soon-to-be-superstar Jennie Bates Bozic. You can visit her blog here.

1- What is the working title of your book? Black Sea

2- Where did the idea come from for the book? Reading about the theory of the 'shadow' biosphere. Also, I wanted to create a more rollicking, less cerebral adventure than my last manuscript. Yeah, about that...

3- What genre does your book fall under? Sci-fi thriller. Think Crichton/Rollins. Except with a bonus helping of epistemology!

4- Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? I'm intentionally sparse with physical descriptions of my characters, so while I may have some ideas, I'm not about to share them.

5- What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? No fair! I haven't worked on my hook yet. Here's a stab at it: For microbiologist John Ruiz, discovering why seventy-nine scientists have vanished from a research vessel adrift in the Caribbean Sea may unlock the clues he needs to at last prove his discredited theories -- or it may just unleash a killer better left undiscovered.

6- Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? Agency represented. DO YOU HEAR THAT AGENCIES?

7- How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? 40 days. Lent is my 'NaNoWriMo'. Amazing how complete asceticism can focus the mind.

8- What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? Amazonia.

9- Who or What inspired you to write this book? Panic? I had planned to write an historical thriller based on a true story, but after spending two months researching and plotting, I realized I didn't really have a handle on my main character (meaning I didn't actually like him very much), so I shelved that idea. Somehow Black Sea popped into my head.

10- What else about your book might pique the reader's interest? The opening sequence takes place in Antarctica, which is a fascinating otherworldly place, and for which I spent hundreds of hours in research. Also, the grounding in real science will inform and delight the curious reader.

Tagged for next week (Week 24) are some of my talented writer friends. Check out their blogs next Wednesday, November 14th, when it's their turn to post answers to these same questions about their own works-in-progress!

Super crit-partner and wrangler of rabbits Michelle Hauck.

The ever-unstoppable force of nature Joey Francisco

This one's cheating, because it's a horizontal link, but you should check out Moonshade anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh what a cool premise Sean! I am super curious about your book since I am a science geek chick (total!).

    Now I'm wondering about that opening scene. Could perhaps, it deal with the speculative scientific conspiracy theories that surround the supposed lake /ocean water that lies beneath several miles of ice there?

    All kinds of interesting things I've read about that enclosed under-ice sea.

    Do not get me started or I'll go on all day long! Good stuff Sean. Can't wait to hear more about BLACK SEA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go to the ends of the Earth for this WIP, Sean. Antarctica is a fantastic setting. With your talents for suspense, I'm sure the killer is a riddle wrapped in a mystery surrounded by an enigma.

    ReplyDelete